Sunday, May 25, 2014

4am



It’s 4am, Dear Lover.
Now is not the time for you.
This is the time you should be snuggled in the
Arms of the one who makes you giggle and post
All those cheesy pictures online.
You should be lying in bed planning
Your future complete with six kids
Two dogs and a house.
You should be coming up with all the mean
Things you’ll say tomorrow to single, fucked up girls
Like me.
Better yet, you should be having the sex you
Allude to only when you bring up the fact that
The rest of us are lonely.
You should be just getting in from the parties
You love that the rest of us weren’t invited to.
You should be watching those wedding videos and
Zeroing in on how your friends look so jealous beside
You at the altar.
You should be still expressing your disgust at them
Trying to drink their problems away at the reception.
You should be being as happy as you say you are.
So, why is it that you’re calling me?
Did you suddenly have a bad day with the one
Who will wake up and still love you tomorrow?
Or did you actually remember that you have a friend
Who didn’t die right after you said “I do”?
What happened?
Did you find the phone number of an ex in his cell phone?
Did she reply to a text from an old boyfriend?
Did he tell you you’ve gained weight?
Did she laugh hysterically at a joke her ex-fiance told?
Or did you remember that you had a friend who stood by
You during all of your breakups?
Did you remember who introduced you?
Or are you calling because I am the only one
You know who’s awake?
Or am I supposed to tell you an anecdote from my life
That will make yours seem so much better?
Can’t you just go away and let me be pathetic?
Can’t you allow me not to be jealous of you for a minute?
Can’t you, for a second, not make me feel like everyone has someone
But me?
Can’t you spare me the details of how annoyed you will pretend to be
Only to end up putty in each others' hands?
Can’t you for ONCE not give me the “Be glad you’re single” speech
Right before the gushes and coos about how much you love each other?
Don’t even act like you remember me.
Don’t try the “Remember when” and “I’m so glad we’re friends” game with me.
Please just go away.
It’s 4am.
For me, it’s the crying hour.
And I really don’t want you here.

TK

No comments:

Post a Comment