Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Cure

Is there a pill for loneliness and heartache?
Is there some wondrous drug
That can make the almost constant
Sting go away?
Is there some magic cure that can
Show up on your doorstep and save
You the shame of a
Trip to the pharmacy?
Can it make you deaf to the sounds
Of those who don't love you?
Their half-hearted "It's gonna be okay"
Or the empty "I wish I knew what to say".
Can it make you not care when
People who say they love you think
You're crazy and decide you are
Just too much. 
Can it give you the side effect of
Sweet numbness that gives
You the peace to not cry?
Will it work on them too?
Will it open their eyes to see that
You're not so bad?
Will they see that you are loving
Them to the best of your ability
Or that all you have, you give?
And give?
And give?
Will they see that you are empty
Because they carry the best of you
In their back pockets?
Can this miracle drug make them
Stop calling you a bitch and
Wrap their arms around you so that
You can just cry?
Will it shut their mouths and open
Their hearts so you can talk without
Being judged?
If somebody found me that pill
Right now, I'd give my life
This very instant.
If someone would slip me that
Capsule to take the pain away,
I'd swallow it down and savor
Every second.
But since I am without remedy,
I will do as I always do
And hope it all stays a secret.

TK

No comments:

Post a Comment