Saturday, July 4, 2015

U.B.

Fist held high,
Afro perfectly round,
Skin the color of a bar of chocolate-
I’m not sorry.

I hear the thunder in Malcolm’s voice
And I feel the lightning in the ideas of Martin.
Huey speaks my mind.
Stokely sings my soul-
And I’m not sorry.

Angela is my spirit animal.
I growl with the vigor of Nina.
But I dance with the grace of Maya-
And I am not sorry.

I’m strong like Assata.
I’m powerful like Betty.
I’m virtuous like Coretta.
I am ingenious like Sonia-
And I am not sorry.

I live in Erykah’s soulful moans.
I revel in the rim shots of Questlove.
A hot 16 from Talib gives me wings.
K Dot lights a fire in me-
And I am not sorry.

I speak my mind the way 3 Stacks does.
I sing my roots just like India.
I put my story on the big screen like Ava, Ryan and Spike -
And I am not sorry.

I’m mad about Ferguson.
The Jena 6 and The Edmund Pettus Bridge
Still furl my brow.
I will never forget the blood of Rumain Brisbon
Of Akai Gurley
Of Tyree Woodson
Of Victor White III
Of Yvette Smith
Of Jordan Davis
Of Jonathan Ferrell
Of Kimani Gray
Of Chavis Carter
Of Rekia Boyd
Of Trayvon Martin
Of Oscar Grant
Of Tamir Rice
Of Eric Garner
And I am not sorry.

I am Unapologetically Black.

TK

No comments:

Post a Comment