Monday, January 25, 2016

Love in the 90's

My mantra about love has been that if it doesn't feel as good as 90's R&B, then I don't want it. But you and I found one another and I'm so glad you are singing my tune. You make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up the way The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill did the very first time I heard it. You gave this "Lost One(s)" the "Ex-Factor" and showed me that it doesn't matter "When It Hurts So Bad" because "Nothing Even Matters" but you. That must be why I "Can't Take My Eyes Off You". I do "Remember The Time" when we were "Just Kickin' It". But all of that changed almost as soon as you asked my name because I knew I wanted you around forever. But, I didn't want to get "Caught Out There". You see, I had been in love before and I knew how much it hurt to fall out of it. I needed to know whether or not you would expect me to give it up on "The First Night". I knew that wasn't something I took lightly. After all, ain't nobody "Humpin' Around". But rather than keep all the questions to myself, I left it all up to you. I folded my arms with that attitude you grew to love, rolled my neck, pursed my lips and said "Are You That Somebody?"

I loved the way you handled that. You didn't fumble over your words. You came back with some questions of your own. You smiled that handsome smile, turned out your pockets and said, "What 'If I Had No Loot'? Would you still love me, Baby? Or what if I had moments of uncertainty and went 'Back and Forth' trying to decide whether or not I am really ready to trust you with my heart? Or what if I decided to move to Southern California? Would you come with me? It should be nice since you know 'It Never Rains'. Now I can't lie and say that I don't want you physically. I will be honest and say that 'You Make Me Wanna...' But I will give it time. There is no way for me to know right off the bat whether or not you're a 'Freak Like Me'. So, I will show you the respect you deserve. But please let me know if I ever get 'Too Close'. You see, I'm not all about the sex. I am about exploring you mentally. I do like your body. But more than anything, 'I Love Your Smile'.

"Baby, Baby, Baby," I said, I'm convinced. I just ask that you "Don't Walk Away" on those days I feel a little "Unpretty" and "Don't Take It Personal" when I want a little me time. The day we made that agreement was the commencement of a "Real Love" like nothing I could have ever imagined. I never wanted love that didn't feel like 90s R&B. And now that I have had a taste, I'm keeping us on repeat.

TK

No comments:

Post a Comment